Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ahhh... all done!


Well we made it- we conquered all 26.2 miles of the beautiful Towpath marathon. Geoff and I felt really good throughout the race and are so thankful for the experience of running. We set a new personal record by 2 minutes- HOORAY! I also learned so much along the way. I learned that running a marathon is like childbirth (I'll explain, I promise!) and I re-learned how much I adore and love my husband and how blessed we are to run together.

First, the childbirth analogy, childbirth is like running because: 1. Once it's over, the initial pain quickly dissipates and you are just elated with your new bundle of joy/ accomplishment. 2. The moment you start labor or running, you can't stop until it's done- it's not an option. 3. The next day you say in your pain oblivion that you 'will NEVER EVER do this again', but somehow, someway, the thought starts to creep into your mind a little later down the road. :)

My husband is a gift from God- no question about it. He is one of those guys that strengthens under pressure and steps up to the challenge. Today he taught me about gut strength and how to simultaneously listen to my body. He is just incredible and I am so blessed to be his wife. I am also so thankful to have a running partner who likes to play silly games and talk about random things.

So what's next? Recovery! And maybe... just maybe the Grand Rapids half marathon next weekend- I know, I'm nuts... but it's the whole baby thing, the thought starts to slowly creep back in! :)

Thanks for reading, enjoy your Sunday.

0 comments: