Saturday, April 4, 2009

Success!


Well I did it, I made a... a dairy-free, gluten-free and low-fat Easter bunny cake! And best of all... it tasted great! It was so much fun to make and super easy! I got the idea from a recipe I saw in a magazine, then modified it to work for our family. I shared it with my neighbors at our Easter Egg hunt/ Barbecue and I got great feedback! I used Pamela's White Cake Mix and Pamela's White frosting mix (both are dairy, gluten, and wheat free) and really like how they turned out. I used jelly beans for the eyes and the nose and licorice (the only gluten containing component) for the whiskers and ears. I used colored marshmallows for the insides of the ears and the bow-tie.

To lower the fat content, I used 1/4 cup applesauce instead of the oil and 3 egg whites with 1 whole egg, instead of the 3 whole eggs that it called for. So, by my calculations, each (Erin-ified) 2x2 square of cake contained 225 calories and 2 grams of fat versus 395 calories and 18 grams of fat (when prepared by the direction). Not bad for an Easter treat! Enjoy!

2 comments:

Shana said...

So cute!

tazbak said...

I am one of the neighbors who had the fortune to get to taste the bunny cake. Delicious!