Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ode to Morning People

There's something profoundly spiritual about running early in the morning. The sun was up, the birds were chirping and the wind was blowing, it was glorious! I recognize, however that not everyone is an early morning runner, that's why it's important to listen to your own body's rhythms and patterns. The following poem written by a fellow runner made me smile... enjoy!

Oh, how I long
For a 5 a.m. alarm
To leap out of bed
So lively and warm.

With energy and joy
I’d slip into my shoes
And clip on the Garmin
With no time to lose.

I’d sneak down the stairs
So my husband could sleep;
The kids and the dog
They’d hear not a peep.

I’d grab for my keys,
My water and hat,
And slip out the door
Not needing a map.

My five mile runs
Are all up in my head;
Nine milers and tens
Locked in my shoes’ treads.

Not a creature is out
As I run before dawn,
Except for the deer
Crossing over the lawn.

The silence, how peaceful!
The dark is such bliss!
The sunrise, I hear,
Is a thing not to miss.

I start my run slow
My thoughts keep my pace,
I don’t even mind
The wind on my face.

As I head to my out
And then start back around,
My feet pick up speed
With each strike of the ground.

The adrenaline rush
Gives me pep, sass and zest—
Until I remember
I’m a Night Owl, at best.

I thought this was really cute and explains me in the beginning and my husband at the end! :) To each their own. Make one step to living a healthy life today!

0 comments: