Saturday, January 19, 2008

Wisdom teeth...

I finally did it, I made the commitment to face my fears and have my wisdom teeth out. Let's be honest, about 3 months ago I had two options, I could keep avoiding the dentist which I did for five years, or I could face my ultimate fear and have my three wisdom teeth extracted.

I'm not entirely sure why I fear the dentist so much but I do. You could cut open my leg, my arm, my stomach, etc. and I would ask for the video to watch the surgery afterwards, but even mention a teeth cleaning, and I shutter, whimper and whine the week before my appointment. So a few months back I made the decision to have my wisdom teeth out because the three that I had were crooked and painful. The day finally came (yesterday) and I had to face one of my biggest fears. I was encouraged by the oral surgeon's words "Don't worry dear, it will be quick and easy" right before I drifted of to dreamland. I do remember waking up half-way through to feel them tugging on my lower right jaw, but they swiftly refilled my IV and I returned to dreamland.

The body is an amazing machine... at this point in time, about 24 hours after the procedure I am up moving around, taking care of my son with little discomfort. I am truly in awe of how this body of mine recovers and am so thankful to have the procedure over with! What a blessing it is that wisdom teeth don't grow back! :)

3 comments:

anitaskid said...

Yes, the body is an amazing machine! You are very lucky to have recovered so quickly. I wonder how stress or stress-control through exercise impacts lowered resistance and inhibits the body's recovery from trauma - whether it is a dental procedure of an illness. I had a lot of work stress over the last 3 months and did not maintain my focus on diet and exercise. I thought I had "knocked back" a recent bout with flu etc., but it reared its ugly head within 3 days of thinking so. It might be another clue that I need to get back on track with the program... :-). As soon as I can talk without hacking up a lung that is...

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Stay healthy and keep drinking lots of fluids! Research has shown that the healthier the body is, the less likely it is that we will be stricken by a virus or bug. So get healthy and get moving!