Friday, September 12, 2008

I hate to brag but...

I love my job, truly... I LOVE what I do. I get to motivate others and help them to change their lives through diet and exercise. In the past 8 months that I have been training through BTT, I have seen clients take some huge steps towards diet freedom and healthy living. If I can, can I brag for a second about one of my clients? I truly think I could sit down and write a blog entry about each one of them, but for a moment we'll focus on *Sarah.*


I started training with Sarah back in the spring. She came to me wanting to shape up her body and clean up her eating. She was already following a healthy diet plan so I just needed to jump start her exercise routine. She also told me of the different classes she would be taking through a Parks and Rec department outside of our weekly training sessions. She was motivated and ready to make a change. Within weeks we both saw a change in Sarah's appearance. She was losing inches around her mid-section, upper arms and legs. She was really feeling great and was ecstatic about the changes.


She then informed me at our next session that she and her husband just found out she was pregnant! She was thrilled and beaming from the inside out. She also quickly informed me that she would still be working out with me and watching her calories in order to stay healthy. She wanted to get healthy the right way before; but now, with a baby on the way she understood the importance of taking care of her body for her baby's sake too. No midnight refrigerator raids for this girl, she was still on track!


Fast forward to a 4 1/2 month pregnant Sarah, who has lost around 18 pounds to date. She feels healthy, the baby is growing magnificently and her doctor is thrilled with her health. Let me explain that Sarah has lost weight through her pregnancy because she has continued to eat well and exercise on a regular basis. She has increased her total calories per day by about 300 to accommodate for her growing baby and is still very active. We have changed her training routine from prone (face down) and supine (face up) exercises to mostly standing and sitting. We have also incorporated balance moves to help her adjust to the change in her center of gravity. Sarah has also modified her once a week kickboxing class to a twice a week water aerobics class which she adores. Weight loss during a pregnancy is sometimes frowned upon because it indicates poor nourishment for the mom and baby, however that is simply not the case for Sarah. She is eating better than she ever has, she is balancing every day's nutrition and enjoying a healthier body through diet and exercise.


I couldn't be more proud of Sarah and the huge steps she has taken since April. Her life has changed dramatically for the better and she and her husband will be incredible parents. That little baby growing inside is one blessed little girl! Sarah's story just goes to show that pregnancy doesn't equal ice cream and candy bars, it requires good nutrition and activity.

1 comments:

*Sarah* said...

I have to say I've had a very easy pregnancy so far. I completely attribute that to you helping me stay on track. While there have been some times when I really just want to give up and eat that junk food at midnight I keep reminding myself that I should exercise instead. If I gave into those midnight raids my next workout with you would be soooo much harder then I would really want it to be! Thank you so much Erin for helping make my first pregnancy such a success! I'm looking forward to the next half being just as active and healthy!