Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mile by mile

It's that time of year again when the nights get cooler, the air gets fresher, and the marathon bug starts to creep in. Ever since running the Grand Rapids marathon back in 2005, my husband and I seem to crave the big challenge every year- it doesn't always stick, but this year it has. We have been training since July and have so enjoyed our time together on the roads with our son in the stroller. Grady has done great thus far and I love to hear him say with a smile on his face "mommy, run!?" before we head out on a Saturday morning.

So this weekend is our longest run thus far... 20 miles. It sounds a bit daunting and since running is such a mental game, I've come up with a list of things to think about:


Mile 1: The brisk fall air and how cool air makes me run faster (because I'm cold!)

Mile 2: How much I enjoy the hands free running and zero resistance! (Our friends are watching Grady for this run)

Mile 3: Sometimes showing up for a workout is the hardest part, I just conquered the hardest part.

Mile 4: Later in the afternoon we are taking Grady to an apple orchard that also has a cow train... that should be worth some good laughs!

Mile 5: Running provides freedom to think about anything I want

Mile 6: Long runs are dates for my husband and I, even though it's not candlelight and wine, it's still quality time!

Mile 7: Count by 7's

Mile 8: Settle in and enjoy the company and the scenery

Mile 9: It's time for more water and maybe a little GU (carbohydrate replacement)

Mile 10: We're halfway... just enjoy the ride

Mile 11: It's 1 mile, nine more times

Mile 12: What college football games are on today? Predict the scores

Mile 13: Do a body check, how do the legs feel? Shake out the arms, relax the shoulders

Mile 14: Set three new goals for Bremer Total Training, how will I achieve those?

Mile 15: Plan meals for the week, what's for lunch and dinner each day?

Mile 16: More water and GU please! Doing great!!

Mile 17: Count by 3's up to 100, then count backwards

Mile 18: Is there someone I can motivate around me to finish strong?

Mile 19: Almost there... think about how good it will feel to take those tennis shoes off!

Mile 20: What's for lunch?

Running 20 miles is no small feat, but it's something that I have learned must be broken into steps. Nobody goes out and just runs 20 miles, it takes training... but if I (a non-runner until 3 years ago) can do it, so can you!!

3 comments:

Elli said...

Wow Erin, I give you so much credit for running 20 miles & doing marathons. After I read your post I took Dilan for his daily walk & ran for a little bit of it. Before Nate left I made a goal of by the time he returns in September 09 I will be able to run 2 miles without stopping. I know not 20 miles, but a huge goal for me. I decided I better get on it if I'm going to make the goal. : ) thanks for the encouraging post!

Erin said...

Elli, that's a great goal and I am really proud of you! Remember we all start out as 'non-runners' and everyone has good running days and bad running days. Stick with it and you will be amazed at what your body learns to do!

Shana said...

Have fun on your run Erin! 20 miles is a daunting task but you guys will do it with no problems!